FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2019 (FEAST OF ALL SAINTS DAY – HOLY DAY OF OBLIGATION and also FIRST FRIDAY)
– 8:00 a.m. Mass (OF-English)
– 9:00 a.m. All-day Eucharistic Adoration until 7pm
– 11:00 a.m. Mass (OF-English)
– 2:30 p.m. Family Holy Hour
– 7:00 p.m. Mass (EF-Latin) followed by Benediction and Sacred Heart devotional prayers
– 8:30 p.m. St. Peter Young Adult Group with discussion and social time in the school.
(NOTE: 6:15 a.m. Mass is moved to 7:00 p.m.)
Adorers are needed for Adoration so please sign your name on the sign-up sheet located in the church vestibule.
“Christ held Himself in His hands when He gave His Body to His disciples saying: ‘This is My Body.’ No one partakes of this Flesh before he has adored it.”
– St. Augustine
The first Friday Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is based on a promise made by our Lord Jesus Christ during an Apparition to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque (1647-1690). This promise was approved by the Church in the 1920 canonization of St. Margaret Mary.
Our Lord appeared to St. Margaret Mary Alocoque (1647-1690), a French nun in the Visitation Order, and gave her the special task to spread devotion to His Most Sacred Heart at a time when religion was growing cold in the hearts of mankind. This promise was approved by the Church in the 1920 canonization of St. Margaret Mary.
Jesus said to her:
“Behold this heart which, not withstanding the burning love for men with which it is consumed and exhausted, meets with no other return from most Christians than sacrilege, contempt, indifference and ingratitude, even in the sacrament of my love [the Eucharist]. But what pierces my heart most deeply is that I am subjected to these insults by persons especially consecrated to my service.”
Jesus asked for special prayers and practices to make amends (reparation) for this great neglect to the proper reverence owed to God. For those who did this faithfully, he made what St. Margaret Mary referred to as the “Great Promise” which was the last and greatest of the Twelve Promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
“I promise you in the unfathomable mercy of my heart that my omnipotent love will procure the grace of final penitence for all those who receive communion on nine successive first Fridays of the month; they will not die in my disfavor [the grace of final repentance], or without having received the sacraments, since my divine heart will be their sure refuge in the last moments of their life.”
CONDITIONS TO FULFILL THE FIRST FRIDAY DEVOTION
The specific conditions to receive the Great Promise of the Sacred Heart of Jesus are:
1. Receive Holy Communion on nine consecutive first Fridays of the month (this assumes that the person is in a state of grace, having made a sacramental confession for any mortal sins prior to receiving communion).
2. Having the intention, at least implicitly, of making reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus for all the sinfulness and ingratitude of men.
THE PROMISES OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS TO ST. MARGARET MARY ALACOQUE:
1. “I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.”
2. “I will establish peace in their homes.”
3. “I will comfort them in their afflictions.”
4. “I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all in death.”
5. “I will pour abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.”
6. “Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.”
7. “Tepid souls shall grow fervent.”
8. “Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.”
9. “I will bless every place where a picture of My Heart shall be set up and honored.”
10. “I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.”
11. “Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be effaced.”
12. “The all-pwerful love of my heart will grant to all those who shall receive communion on the first Friday of nine consecutive months the grace of final repentance; they shall not die under my displeasure nor without receiving the sacraments; my heart shall be their assured refuge in their last hour.”
The following First Friday devotions are advantageous in honoring the Sacred Heart of Jesus:
– The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass
– Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament
– Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
– Act of Reparation
– The Litany To The Sacred Heart of Jesus
– The Sacrament of Confession
More information can be found here: http://sacredheartlegion.com/friday.htm#friday